Being active is meant to be an enjoyable experience. You don’t have to go all in, training multiple times per day and crushing yourself …. and then waking up the next morning with really sore muscles!
Getting fit is literally a meandering journey and not a sprint. Take your time to becoming stronger and leaner. Don’t go all in, all at once or else you’ll burn out and loose interest quickly. And remember that it’s supposed to be fun.
So where do you start with your journey to better health? It’s best to set a goal, create a plan and take it one step at a time. Here’s some suggestions to get you going and set you on the right path to success:
Ideas for Health Goals
Make your goal reasonable, attainable and measurable.
- Losing a certain number of pounds
- Not snacking in the evening
- Becoming a member of a gym or fitness centre (and actually go!)
- Running your first 5K
- Making healthier yet satisfying meals
- Curbing a habit such as smoking or alcohol
Inspiration for Fun Activities
Remember it’s about having fun while staying active.
- Look at what you enjoyed when you were young like bike riding or lifting
- Join a local sports team for your age group
- Run the trails to enjoy the beautiful scenery at the same time
- Walk around the shopping centre and do some retail therapy at the same time
- Jump in the pool and do water exercises while cooling off
- Find a yoga or spin class with an instructor that motivates you to get fit
Ways to Stay on Track
Keep your eye on the prize as you work your way to your goal.
- Mark your goals on your calendar to stick with your plan
- Reward yourself for each milestone you make such as a manicure or pedicure
- Do it with a friend or family member to keep you accountable
- Keep a food or fitness journal to log your workouts or meals
- Sign up for a health app to mark your progress and keep you on schedule
- Hire a fitness and nutrition coach to help you along
Try out different activities and approaches to meeting your goals till you discover what works best for you. Finding the right routine takes time so learn to be patient with yourself and don’t rush it. Whatever you do …. enjoy, be playful and best of luck with your health journey